From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 18:57:22
On 06/19/10 19:59, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>> This is a point that deserves more consideration. One of the top >> reasons (as witnessed in forum discussions) > > Unfortunately, that's selecting a rather biased audience. The success > of a forum depends upon the number of active posters it has. The number > of active posters it has depends upon how many people need to post > there to get answers to questions, and how many wrong answers have to > be given before the right answer comes up. Thus, by selecting from the > forums, you're picking an audience that likes talking endlessly about > communities, not one that likes to answer a question once, correctly, > and then change things so the question doesn't need to be answered > again.
This may apply to easy and/or 99%-technical problems with a dictator around. That's not what we have here. It's two black-and-white for my taste, too.
>> Does Gentoo really prefer to keep more sensitive people out instead >> of effectively getting rid of repeat offenders? > > All bringing more sensitive people in does is cripples the > distribution's ability to delivery any technical improvements,
Looking at it the other way around: with more sensitive people around, collaboration would work better potentially leading to less loss of time and energy and therefore quicker arrival of improvements.
>> Think about it. What kind of people would you rather have in Gentoo? > > Personally, I'd like to see Gentoo start having the kinds of people who > deliver a better product, not the kinds of people who worry that using > a gender-ambiguous cow as a logo might be offensive.
I don't consider that comment respectful. Sebastian

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>