From: Guilherme Amadio <amadio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [EAPI 7] Cross-compile improvements (BDEPEND, BROOT, sysroot)
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 16:21:46
1 On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 10:58:55PM +0000, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > Sorry for the length of this but you really need to consider the bigger
3 > picture with this stuff and not all devs are familiar with it.
4 >
5 > For EAPI 7, mgorny and I are seeking to address some cross-compiling
6 > issues. This is a subject I've long had an interest in and before I
7 > became a developer, I created a project called cross-boss that, to be
8 > blunt, hacks its way through the shortcomings in Portage and the tree.
9 > It does (or at least did when I last worked on it) achieve a higher
10 > success rate than you would get from crossdev alone and allows you to
11 > install a brand new standalone system from scratch as opposed to one
12 > under /usr/${CHOST}.
13 >
14 > I have heard some developers say that cross-compiling is simply not
15 > worth the effort but I have succeeded in building some big ticket items
16 > including MariaDB, GTK+, Qt4, and LibreOffice. This is one area where
17 > Gentoo can really shine so I would like to exploit that potential.
18
19 Thanks for the nice write up.
20
21 I've been using a prefix installation (no root privileges to use Gentoo)
22 and Intel compilers with Portage to cross compile stuff for the Xeon Phi[1].
23 For the most part I've just hacked my way into making things work, but
24 it would be cool to get a project going to do this properly.
25
26 Cheers,
27 —Guilherme
28