From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to support C++11 in libraries?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:33:45
1 On Wednesday, 18 December 2013 18:05:46 CEST, "C. Bergström" wrote:
2 > If moving to C++11 - Isn't that considered just part of the
3 > work along the path? There's some clang tools to help with the
4 > migration, but I don't think anyone expects it to be zero work.
5 > The flag is just a way to a) enable building programs that can
6 > be built with c++11 b) flush out the culprits in the cases it
7 > can't be. If (b) is a bug - how else to find it easily?
8
9 This perspective is interesting (and I admit that I tend to like it) --
10 considering packages which won't build with C++11 to be buggy.
11
12 I'm worried by the cost of such a policy, though, because we would suddenly
13 have to patch some unknown amount of software (and I'm pretty sure some
14 upstreams would reject these patches anyway). If we were an enterprise
15 distro with binary compatibility requirements, we would also have to worry
16 about that and either assume that the ABI changes are non-issue in real
17 world, or provide two versions of all C++ libraries. I tried to check how
18 RHEL7 will deal with it, but I wasn't able to find any information about
19 that. It also seems that Fedora hasn't addressed this yet, either.
20
21 Either way, it is reasonable to assume that some users would like to build
22 their own software and link it with system libraries. It is not reasonable
23 to force these users to build in the C++11 mode, IMHO.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Jan