From: Chuck Short <zul@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC - apache start page.
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:03:35
1 Hello,
2
3 Stuart will answering your concens when he gets home.
4
5 Thanks
6 chuck
7
8 On Tuesday 25 May 2004 09:29, Stroller wrote:
9 > Well, this may simply be because I've upgraded from a previous
10 > installation of Apache2, or it may be because I didn't see the ewarn
11 > when I emerged, but I used to have a /home/www/htdocs/ directory in
12 > which everything installed. I believe that cgi-bin, icons & error were
13 > in there..?
14 >
15 > Now I find that I have separate /var/www/htdocs/ & /var/www/localhost
16 > directories and that cgi-bin, icons & error go in the top-level
17 > /var/www/. GLEP 11 is presumably not intended as user-documentation, so
18 > an explanation for someone who finds GLEP 11 heavy-going would be
19 > appreciated.
20 >
21 > My server is never addressed as "localhost". I do use virtuals,
22 > although I'd be happy to admit I don't have a clue about them. I
23 > believe that when I originally emerged Apache2 I made suitable
24 > directories for compaq.stroller.uk.eu.org & www.stroller.uk.eu.org
25 > within htdocs & pointed the virtual hosting at those directories. When
26 > squirrelmail emerged to htdocs I could simply symlink
27 > mail.stroller.uk.eu.org to squirrelmail in the same directory. Now
28 > compaq.stroller.uk.eu.org & www.stroller.uk.eu.org reside within the
29 > /var/www/ alongside localhost
30 >
31 > In writing this email to you I find that an emerge --update has placed
32 > the new squirrelmail in /var/www/htdocs/, a directory which is now
33 > otherwise fairly redundant, as it only contains the default Apache
34 > start-page (in several languages). That update to squirrelmail has been
35 > ignored the past month, as I wasn't aware it would go there.
36 >
37 > This is what _I_ find confusing, however it was you that stated:
38 > > I'd say that the main problem people have (apart from my stupid bugs
39 > > ;-)
40 > > is that they just don't h.a.f.c. about virtual hosting.
41 >
42 > In what other ways have users demonstrated to you that the don't have a
43 > clue about virtual hosting..? Wouldn't the default start page be a good
44 > place to address this with a little documentation..?
45 >
46 > I would be the first to commend the design & layout of the new start
47 > page which is proposed, but since users will wish to replace this with
48 > their own start page, it will only be seen by the system administrator,
49 > and hopefully not for too long. I think this would be a percfect place
50 > to display some _useful_ information.
51 >
52 > Stroller.
53 >