From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage FEATURE suggestion - limited-visibility builds
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:17:33
1 On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Although that is true, it would be -WAY- too slow to generate said
4 > list via equery/q* helpers; I think that's where the
5 > extended-attributes and/or cache idea comes into play.
6
7 I agree. This needs to be high-performance when it comes to
8 individual file access. If it takes 10 seconds per build to populate
9 some database or set up a bazillion bind mounts that isn't the end of
10 the world, but if it takes an extra 0.1 seconds every time a file is
11 read that could add up VERY fast on a large build.
12
13 Ideally I'd like to see the same thing extended to run-time, and short
14 of writing some entirely new security model into the kernel or taking
15 namespaces to a whole new level, part of me thinks that
16 auto-generating SELinux policies might be the solution, so that the
17 existing mechanism can be extended.
18
19 The mad scientist in me keeps thinking up crazy schemes so that
20 package collisions can be handled by each package just seeing whatever
21 it wants to see - maybe the entire filesystem looks different
22 depending on what app you use. Then I realize that bash is an
23 application, and how on earth would a human make sense of a system
24 where no file has any stable identifier other than maybe a
25 content-hashed key. Then that makes me wonder why we link to
26 libraries by filename anyway, when we could just give each library a
27 GUID and version, and maybe a more general identifier for cases where
28 you have alternate implementations.
29
30 But, as long as we're still just running Gentoo on Unix-like OSes
31 maybe tweaking the jail is a good place to start...
32
33 Rich