From: Andrew Muraco <tuxp3@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 04:08:38
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 >We have received *numerous* complaints from users about the decision to
4 >remove stage 1 and 2 from the installation documentation. I realize it's
5 >still available if users are willing to dig for it, but not all users do.
6 >
7 >In my years of monitoring www@g.o, we've received the most
8 >complaints about this decision than any other single decision. Is there a
9 >way we can re-introduce the stages into the installation documentation,
10 >perhaps with gigantic warnings saying, "for advanced users only" or "use at
11 >your own risk"?
12 >
13 >--kurt
14 >
15 (I've read all of the comments up until now, but my response is not
16 directed at any particular post.)
17
18 Facts: (according to me, and what I've read)
19 -The releng team DID make a good decision by making stage 3 default in
20 the instructions.
21 -The releng team _DID_NOT_ do a sufficient job of making the community
22 aware of the changes BEFORE they occurred (I didn't know about this
23 change until after it was done, and Gentoo.org is my home page, I read
24 the GWN)
25 -Stage 1 & 2 tar balls and instructions ARE available
26
27 OPINION:
28 - This change should be GLEP'd, as it effects everyone that installs
29 Gentoo (to some degree, most do not suffer tho)
30 - Stage 1 SHOULD continue to be released and maintained, instructions
31 clearly stating risks and LACK of SUPPORT and easily visibility from the
32 install docs (which it seems it does not have (according to posts),
33 although, It is perfectly clear to me.)
34
35 to the releng team: Good Decision, Bad Execution Thats whats leading to
36 this entire reaction.
38 Andrew
39 www.leetworks.com
40 tuxp3@×××××××××.com