From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] suggestion portage ebuild system file modification rights and protection
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 01:09:14
1 On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 04:52, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 > On Monday 08 September 2003 00:28, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 > > Whoever just forgot to add a 'DEPEND="!ezmlm-idx"' to ezmlm, and
4 > > reverse for ezmlm-idx ? I do not see how portage will cause that
5 > > individual(s) to forget about that ?
6 > Portage allows packages overwriting each other and this i functional
7 > deficiency that can not get worser as it is.
10 So you want it to check _EVERY_ file that it do not maybe
11 belong to another package before merging it to the live filesystem ?
12 Oh boy, that really will make portage a speedster.
13
14 > > Ok, but the merge code in portage could have a bug bigger than anything
15 > > pkg_{post,pre}inst() could ever cause.
16 > Yes, ist software.
17 >
18 > > Right, so that is why we need
19 > > all the other safety nets - they could be more buggy ?
20 > Sorry, i cant follow you now.
23 Meaning, you do not trust software, but software should fix
24 your 'problem' ?
25
26 > > Some times it is not so easy.
27 >
28 > I know...
29 > but should this prevent us from trying?
32 Ok, lets rip out all the pkg_*inst() stuff. I am guessing
33 I should not count on you to sweep the pieces together again ?
34
35 What about taking a nice holiday for a change, then come back
36 after you pulled up a nice 100+ page draft with suggestions,
37 working code, and some sample changes to offensive ebuilds?
40 Thanks,
44 Martin Schlemmer
45 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
46 Cape Town, South Africa