From: Austin English <wizardedit@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] gtk/gtk2/gtk3 USE flag situation
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 16:16:06
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 05/27/2016 09:21 AM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > Despite it being 2016 and gtk2 pretty much dead, buried and forgotten
8 > upstream, many applications still support only gtk2, have subtle issues
9 > with their gtk3 port, or support both, with some of our userbase
10 > clinging to gtk2 for dubious political or aesthetical reasons.
11 >
12 > For the latter cases, despite GNOME teams policy and strong preference
13 > on not providing a choice and just choosing gtk2 or gtk3 (gtk3 if it's
14 > working as good as gtk2), some cases exist where the maintainers want
15 > to provide such choice. In some cases it is understandable for a short
16 > while during transition, e.g firefox. In other cases, it is purely for
17 > the sake of providing the choice of working with a deprecated toolkit,
18 > apparently.
19 >
20 > My highly biased essay aside, we need to finally globally agree on what
21 > we do in this situation. If we allow this choice at all, only for
22 > special cases, or widespread. And if this choice is provided, how do we
23 > name the USE flag.
24 >
25 > Historically, for very good reasons in past and present GNOME team
26 > members opinion, USE=gtk has always meant to mean to provide support
27 > for gtk in general, not any particular version. This is opposite to
28 > what the Qt team has been doing.
29
30 What are those good reasons? Every discussion I've seen about this has
31 Gnome team saying "There are good reasons" without actually _listing_
32 them. It sounds like the 'good reason' is that people will get some sort
33 of gtk support no matter what the application supports, but as had been
34 said already, that isn't exactly a good thing.
35
36 AFAICT, this only serves to cause more confusion. A user setting USE=gtk
37 may expect gtk2 (because that's what it provided in the past), then all
38 of a sudden has their system pulled out from underneath them to get gtk3.
39
40 Ignoring that past issue, there's no discussion here of how the
41 transition to gtk4 would be handled in a situation where gtk=gtk-any,
42 but not all applications support gtk4. What will you do then, introduce
43 a force-gtk3 USE flag to work around the problem in the future?
44
45 No one is saying cleaning up the mess will be easy, but it is needed to
46 prevent user confusion and prevent further problems down the road.
47
48 I have no political feelings towards gtk2/3, for the record :).
49
50 - -Austin