From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:39:19
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > So here is the question I'll pose. Is it worth all of that extra
3 > work for us to support separate /usr correctly, or should we just tell
4 > everyone to start using initramfs or, if they don't want to use
5 > initramfs and they are just using plain filesystems, the
6 > busybox[sep-usr] option once all of the tools are stable?
7
8 My two cents:
9
10 My thoughts - no, it isn't worth all that work. However, I'm not the
11 one doing the work, so I'll let those who are judge for themselves
12 whether it is worth it, and I'm not going to knock volunteer work done
13 to benefit the Gentoo community. I hope they succeed. I also hope
14 they don't diverge so far that it affects other packages, and I trust
15 everybody to work together to prevent that.
16
17 As far as separate /usr goes and all that, I just see this as one more
18 option to offer our users alongside mdev, initramfs, an early boot
19 script, or whatever. Add it to the news item, and let the users
20 decide what they want to do. As far as I'm concerned eudev is just
21 another option like systemd, and if at some point in the future a
22 majority of the community/devs are behind changing the defaults, then
23 we can consider that. Otherwise, stick it in news items, docs, wiki
24 pages, or even the handbook as makes sense. Gentoo is about choice.
25
26 Would I rather see some of these devs working on something else, like
27 my favorite package? Maybe. But, if so I'm better off sending them
28 an email to try to persuade them, or throwing money at them. What we
29 ought not to do is knock their work.
30
31 Rich