From: Alexander Holler <holler@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-headers
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:00:02
1 Hello,
2
3 --On Mittwoch, Juni 05, 2002 18:41:53 +0200 Alexander Gretencord
4 <arutha@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > On Wednesday 05 June 2002 18:03, Brandon Low wrote:
7 >> The linux headers should only really be changed when you upgrade glibc,
8 >> otherwise things get out of sync, perhaps we should upgrade the headers
9 >> automatically in the glibc ebuild from the currently installed kernel.
10 >
11 > Right, I think the linux-headers should be no normal package but get
12 > installed from the kernel includes that are present when you compile
13 > glibc. And perhaps a lil reminder somwhere. Many people don't know that
14 > it's supposed to be this way. (e.g. ppl coming from redhat only know
15 > about symlinks in that dir at least in 6 it was that way, dunno about 7)
16
17 Yes. I've used an old SuSE 7.3 with many packages compiled by myself and
18 haven't had any problems up to now. And I'm sure, the glibc was very old
19 (so I think it was compiled with a 2.2.x kernel) and last I've used kernel
20 2.4.18 with the includes pointing at that kernel.
21
22 Why should the usr/include/linux and asm reflect the state at glibc compile
23 time? Is there any reading about that?
24
25 Alexander