From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] cvs.gentoo.org hard drive failure
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 11:58:34
1 Important information:
2 ======================
3
4 At about 10:00 AM this morning, I walked into my home office and noticed that
5 cvs.gentoo.org's hard drive light was stuck on. Turning on the monitor, I
6 found a number of IDE drive error kernel messages on the screen. I quickly
7 rebooted the server, and found that the hard drive (a quite new IBM 45Gb
8 Ultra/100 drive) was making a weird chirping sound and was unable to spin up...
9 the system wouldn't recognize the drive, it was dead.
10
11 So, it's 11:51 AM now, and the system has been restored onto another IBM 30Gb
12 Ultra/100 drive. *Fortunately for everone*, I performed a full system backup
13 to tape about a day ago. Ironically, I'm in the process of writing a backup
14 tutorial for IBM developerWorks :/
15
16 Here's what we lost:
17 ====================
18
19 About a day's worth of received mail
20
21 About a day's worth of cvs commits (Achim, could you "cvs commit" from your
22 mirror so we can get most of these lost changes back?)
23
24 About 1500 words from my backup tutorial :/
25
26 About 3 hours of excellent work on the new Portage system (a bummer, but
27 easily re-do-able)
28
29 Basically, any files or emails or anything created in the last day have been
30 lost. No incoming mail when the server was dead was lost, since we have a
31 backup MX record and account at my ISP.
32
33 Here's what you need to know:
34 =============================
35
36 When I restored everything this morning, I think I had some kind of umask
37 problem so that some file permissions are incorrect. You may want to check
38 your files to make sure that they have the right perms. Ownership should
39 be correct. I had to fix up mailman so that our mailing list would again
40 work correctly.
41
42 All in all, we were incredibly fortunate that it wasn't worse!!!!!!
43 Have you ever noticed that all system crashes happen on Sunday morning?
44
45 Best Regards,
48 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
49 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org