From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Cutting down on non-cascaded profiles
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:31:15
1 maillog: 10/05/2005-11:15:45(+0200): Paul de Vrieze types
2 > On Monday 09 May 2005 22:27, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Monday 09 May 2005 04:12 pm, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
4 > > > What about adding a "panic" mode to portage which, when confronted
5 > > > with a missing profile, (and after confirmation) continues to upgrade
6 > > > portage to the latest version it can find with some default settings
7 > > > that should allways work.
8 > >
9 > > looking ahead that's a good idea but for older portages that doesnt
10 > > help at all ... the profiles we're talking about here will break when
11 > > given a cascaded profile
12 >
13 > I know. But I'm certain that todays profiles will need to be removed in
14 > the future. And quite possibly there will be things that break very old
15 > portage versions.
16
17 Why do you need to remove them? Keep them there with the obsolete
18 warning and hard-code the newer portage to exclude those profiles when
19 syncing as to not clutter user's trees. Maybe even add a
20 $PORTDIR/profiles/rsync_excludes file that will have a list of stuff to
21 be excluded. Portage can then use that file as another "--exclude-from
22 $PORTDIR/profiles/rsync_excludes".
25 (* Georgi Georgiev (* Of course you have a purpose -- to find a (*
26 *) chutz@×××.net *) purpose. *)
27 (* +81(90)2877-8845 (* (*