From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Changes to EAPI ban workflow
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 14:21:16
1 Hi,
2
3 it's not clear to me what will be the consequences of this change.
4
5 I am expecting good faith and that nobody will add an ebuild with
6 deprecated EAPI just for fun or because maintainer prefers retro stuff.
7
8 So looking at the reasons to bump without touching EAPI:
9
10 a) Because of a changing dep/add slot operator
11
12 b) Because of a security vulnerability.
13
14 c) Other critical fixes which should reach users ASAP.
15
16 In addition, all of this could happen by non-primary maintainer of the
17 package.
18
19 In case such a change would force anyone who is touching the ebuild to
20 also fix the ebuild itself and migrate to latest EAPI -- even
21 non-primary maintainers -- this would be far away from any reality and
22 would cause pain for users in the end because people wouldn't touch
23 these packages anymore.
24
25 Keep in mind: Even if you are the primary maintainer, if you have
26 foo-1.2.3 (stable for a while but using deprecated EAPI) and upstream
27 just released foo-2.0 (a complete rewrite after 10 years, not yet ready
28 for stabilization but added with latest EAPI) and you would now need to
29 fix something critical in v1.2.3, this would be impossible because
30 adding a patch/change deps is one thing, making an EAPI change _will_
31 require more testing which will prevent fast stabilization (remember
32 when trailing slash behavior changed when we had no QA/CI checks able to
33 catch most (still not all!) problems caused by incomplete EAPI bumps
34 which had real impact when those ebuilds were merged to disk).
35
36 If the above will be still allowed (and I believe it *must* be still
37 allowed), we cannot get rid of step 2 -- we will need exemptions.
38
39 I would really like to understand why people in Gentoo believe we should
40 eliminate step 2 and also start enforcing policy.
41
42 I agree with the latter: If we create a rule which isn't enforceable,
43 it's not a rule and we shouldn't create it as such. But in this case,
44 like said, I believe we need the exemptions, which makes it impossible
45 to enforce something, so we cannot create a (new) policy in first place.
46
47 But is it really a problem? Is such a new policy really needed? Are
48 people really pushing lots of ebuilds with EAPIs we already marked as
49 deprecated? If it is a real problem, do we actually have information why
50 maintainers are doing that? Trying to understand why someone keeps using
51 deprecated EAPI could help more like a policy which is more likely to
52 cause more stale packages/ignored bugs assuming these maintainer didn't
53 do that for fun or wilful ignorance. At the moment, the whole idea of
54 creating a policy for that problem sounds like shooting sparrows with
55 cannons. But maybe I am missing something...
59 Regards,
60 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
61 fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature