From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unnecessary revbump
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 17:36:14
1 On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 09:44:16 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 10/06/2015 06:33 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > I don't think the revbump of net-misc/openconnect-7.06-r1 to -r2 was
6 > > necessary. When the change purely affects use flags, that is picked
7 > > up by the pm and there is no need to force everyone to rebuild the
8 > > package.
9 >
10 > The same goes for dependency changes if the package manager has an
11 > option like emerge --changed-deps. So, apparently the assumption is
12 > that all relevant package managers implement behavior like emerge
13 > --newuse and/or --changed-use, but they don't necessarily implement
14 > --changed-deps?
17 I think the general assumption is: --newuse is commonly used, albeit
18 inducing sometimes useless rebuilds; --changed-deps almost always
19 induces useless rebuilds and is thus rarely used (and is newer I think).
22 But the point here is different: A revbump doesn't leave the choice to
23 use these options because of an hypothetical common subset of PMs that
24 doesn't provide --newuse to its users...