From: jano <jano@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] destdir vs prefix
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:39:40
1 Hi,
2
3 i've had this explained to me a few times already, but for some reason,
4 I'm still having problems grasping the idea.
5
6 program is typical autoconf tarball.. ./configure, make, make install.
7
8 So when doing the "try make install" command within an .ebuild file,
9 how do you know whether to use DESTDIR or PREFIX, or both? I check out
10 the makefile for this particular program, which has the files depend on
11 ${prefix} (e.g. mandir=${prefix}/man), and a sole line with "DESTDIR = "
12
13 This particular program installs the biaries, docs, etc fine either
14 way. If I do:
15 try make PREFIX=${D} install
16 however, when reading the /var/db/pkg/blah/CONTENTS file, i see only
17 those files which I explicitly do a dodoc, dobin, doman, etc. So an
18 unmerge/uninstall will not remove the whole program as it should. I
19 tried to change it to PREFIX=${D}/usr as I've seen in some ebuilds, no
20 worky worky. But when I do:
21 try make DESTDIR=${D} install
22 everything shows up the right way, including CONTENTS and stuff.
23
24 I'm rendered confused. Why does it work this way?
25
26 jano