From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] C++ herd proposal
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:02:10
1 On 17/9/2005 13:33:30, Christian Parpart (trapni@g.o) wrote:
2 > On Saturday 17 September 2005 11:36, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
3 > > On 17/9/2005 0:20:57, Mark Loeser (halcy0n@g.o) wrote:
4 > >
5 > > C++ herd is a good idea, especially with that number of packages.
6 > >
7 > > > I would also like to see many of them, if not all, moved to the
8 > > > dev-cpp category:
9 > >
10 > > Is this bit really necessary?
11 >
12 > indeed, it at least helps curious c++ devs to browse through some yet
13 > unknown c++ libs and he maybe finds something useful.
14
15 If the only gain is that one group finds one search criteria a little easier,
16 then I think that is far from sufficient reason to re-categorise.
17
18 What about people searching in the application domain (which to be honest
19 I think is much more likely)? Under your approach they have to rummage
20 around in each dev-<lang> category, hoping that it'll be obvious from the
21 package name that it's suitable for their application domain.
22
23 What happens when the media, games or net herds come along, and want to
24 pull stuff into a media-libs, dev-games, net-libs? We end up in a
25 tug-of-war between competing interests.
26
27 Think also of all the work involved in re-categorising stuff; how everyone
28 with dependencies on these packages in their overlay will have to rework
29 stuff in their overlay, all because of one group's nice-to-have. It's
30 particularly acute for libraries.
31
32 I think we should discourage the idea that filesystem categories and herds
33 are related at all, and think of filesystem categories simply as convenient
34 buckets preventing lists of packages getting long. Resist the urge to
35 re-categorise as much as possible, because in the end it's pointless.
36
37 Instead, add to metadata, and use that to find stuff. In metadata.xml,
38 we could have as many search criteria as we like; for example source
39 language(s), library|application, application domain (sound, games, video)
40 which can happily cope with many->many relationships.
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list