From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:41:18
1 On 06/19/2010 01:06 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > On 19-06-2010 16:15, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
3 >> #gentoo-infra is a channel on infra matters.
4 >> The fact that it's developers only doesn't make it a private channel in
5 >> a sense of "tone doesn't matter".
6 >
7 > you've failed to notice an important point that others have already
8 > tried to convey to you - #gentoo-infra is the home of the Gentoo infra
9 > team. Yes, developers go there to address infra issues on Gentoo, but it
10 > is the infra team channel and not the channel of every Gentoo developer.
11
12 Perhaps he didn't fail to notice this point, but rather he just
13 disagrees with it?
14
15 The fact is that #gentoo-infra is part of the Gentoo linux distribution.
16 It belongs to every Gentoo developer, or at least legally to every
17 Gentoo foundation member. Conduct on this channel reflects on all
18 Gentoo developers.
19
20 It really does bother me that everybody is lining up to defend this kind
21 of behavior. If the response had been - sorry, I guess the joking got
22 out of hand I'd say, ok, well, let's try to do better but let's all move
23 on. I don't see offensive behavior using Gentoo IDs/IRC Cloaks/media as
24 a trivial matter. It sets the overall tone of the distro, which is what
25 this thread is all about.
26
27 I've heard several devs over the years comment that they love
28 contributing to Gentoo, but they'd never put it on their resume. Who
29 can blame them? I know that if I ever were hiring somebody and they
30 pointed out that they were a Gentoo dev, I'd tend to assume that their
31 technical knowledge was pretty good but you can be assured I'd do quite
32 a bit of digging around to figure out if they're somebody I'd want
33 working on my team.
34
35 Unless somebody is so good that you'd be fine if they were the only
36 person working for you, then they're not too good to pass over. Rest
37 assured that if you hire and keep certain people, sooner or later they
38 WILL be the only ones working for you...
39
40 I don't think that most Gentoo devs behave in this way. I think a lot
41 of people care about trying to fix this. I don't think it is asking too
42 much for Gentoo devs to try to keep their behavior reasonably
43 professional when using Gentoo media, or Gentoo emails/cloaks/etc.
44
45 No need to start burning people at the stake for slip-ups, but let's at
46 least try to agree that we'd like to be associated with a somewhat
47 professional-acting distribution?
48
49 Rich