From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Setting USE_EXPAND defaults in profiles (in some cases)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 08:06:15
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >>> agaffney suggested this in the first place, and every time I think about
4 >>> it, it seems like a better idea. If we set VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES
5 >>> in the arch profiles, we get the arch-specific defaults we need without
6 >>> the really hugely ugly indecipherable mess in the ebuilds that nobody
7 >>> can understand besides Josh_B and me. The very strange corner case this
8 >>> doesn't work with is if people manually set VIDEO_CARDS="", then they
9 >>> will no longer get the behavior of pulling in everything. But the
10 >>> default case will still work great.
11 >
12 > As of portage-2.1.1_pre4-r4, VIDEO_CARDS="" should now continue to work like
13 > before no matter how you've enabled the flags in the profile.
14
15 > As part of the fix for bug 142125, portage automatically regenerates all of
16 > the USE_EXPAND variables to be consistent with the corresponding USE
17 flags.
18 >
19 > Zac
20
21 Well, please don't change the behaviour in every other release, it's
22 very confusing and people file bugs about it. And -r4 behaviour is
23 incorrect, as it ignores defaults in profiles when you set anything in
24 make.conf. -r3 got it correctly so that foo in profiles could be
25 overriden with -foo in make.conf, this doesn't work any more in -r4.
29 Best regards,
30
31 Jakub Moc
32 mailto:jakub@g.o
33 GPG signature:
34 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
35 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
36
37 ... still no signature ;)