From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] better handling of multibyte characters (nls/cjk/unicode)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:05:34
1 begin quote
2 On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:24:52 +0900
3 Mamoru KOMACHI <usata@g.o> wrote:
6 > So what I will do is:
7 >
8 > 1. Create global USE flag named "unicode" which enables
9 > Unicode(including UTF-7/UTF-8/UTF-16 and so on) support.
10 > 2. Don't make it default in any profiles. (We will consider it later
11 > when those applications settle down.)
12 >
13 > Everybody happy with this? I hope it will be a good starting point for
14 > integrating Unicoded support into Gentoo Linux.
17 Sounds great.
20 proposed addition to baselayout:
21
22 if [ `use unicode` ] ;
23 then
24 cat >> ${D}/etc/rc.conf << EOF
25 # This setting enables a default UTF-8 locale for your system.
26 # please look inside /usr/share/locale for more examples
27 LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
28
29 EOF
30 fi
31
32 This is rough, but something like it perhaps?
35 //Spider
40 begin .signature
41 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
43 end