From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 13:48:31
1 On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 06/30/14 22:15, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 09:25:27 -0400
4 >> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Agree 100%. I'm taking about masking things that HAVEN'T BEEN TESTED
7 >>> AT ALL. The maintainer knows that they compile, and that is it.
8 >>
9 >> Developers who "HAVEN'T [...] TESTED AT ALL" and still commit their
10 >> changes to the tree should immediately hand in their toys and leave
11 >> the project.
14 > I usually avoid overlays (best way to make things hard to find), so when
15 > there's stuff that upstream says is experimental (e.g. perl6/rakudo with
16 > the MoarVM backend) I have no issue with adding it as un-keyworded
17 > ebuilds to the tree. That way it's easy to test, and once there's a bit
18 > more confidence that it works well enough it's trivial to keyword.
21 If the goal is to reduce clutter in the profiles then this could be a
22 good alternative. Nothing would prevent a maintainer from sticking a
23 comment in the ebuild as well.
24
25 Hate to derail this, but another option would be to migrate
26 package.mask to a directory (eventually) and manage masks by project
27 or by date. Projects could create standing files when needed, and
28 misc masks would go into a file named by year/quarter. Then anybody
29 looking in the directory can spot projects that are dead, or files
30 which are old. Either would be easier to clean up.
31
32 Obviously restructuring the profiles entirely as has been suggested
33 will help, though not for masks like these.
34
35 Rich