From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] You currently cannot smoothly upgrade a 4 months old Gentoo system
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 19:05:19
1 211103 John Helmert III wrote:
2 > An "upgrade path" to me sounds like not just a world update,
3 > but also includes other stuff
4 > that might be necessary to get a system fully updated,
5 > like temporarily setting PYTHON_TARGETS to upgrade a package.
6 > A system without an upgrade path would seem to be a system
7 > where there is no way to upgrade it without reinstalling,
8 > which you seem to be asserting is the case for this system.
9
10 The Council resolution doesn't seem to have been well-thought-out :
11 why "1 year" & however could anyone measure that ?
12 what counts as an upgrade path ? -- problem-free or possible with some work ?
13
14 The basic problem is that Portage isn't capable of resolving all conflicts.
15 In order to do that, a great deal more programing work would be necessary,
16 which the hard-working volunteer developers are unlikely to have time for.
17 That means that users must put in a bit of their own time
18 & use some good sense based on experience to find a path for themselves.
19 People who can't do that shouldn't try using Gentoo.
20
21 I've been using Gentoo on all my machines for > 18 yr now
22 & have never tried to do 'emerge world' without '-pv',
23 and I've almost always been able to find my way thro' fairly quickly.
24 I have updated year-old systems occasionally with success.
25
26 You have to make a list of the pkgs which need updating
27 -- either by 'emerge -pv world' or via 'eix-sync' output -- ,
28 then work thro' the list updating a few pkgs at a time,
29 starting of course with the most fundamental, eg system pkgs.
30 That way, problems are usually easily identified
31 & often simply disappear when you put them aside & emerge further pkgs.
32 There are some regular blockages which require unmerging a set of pkgs
33 -- eg notoriously the Qt pkgs -- , then remerging all of them together.
34 Some problem pkgs can simply be left as they are & everything still works.
35
36 If you expect Portage to do all the work for you in the background,
37 it isn't going to succeeed.
38
39 HTH
43 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
44 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
45 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca