From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revision diffs
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 13:50:15
1 On 11/06/2015 08:34 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 7 November 2015 at 02:16, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >> These days, if I'm careful to revbump when necessary AND limit my
4 >> commits to one logical change, can I wind up going from (say) -r1 all
5 >> the way to -r4 before pushing my changes.
6 >
7 > Personally I don't think that's necessary. The "-r bump on dep change"
8 > argument is a defence against installer limitations and the
9 > replication of changes to users.
10 >
11 > As your commits were never pushed to users to install from, you've not
12 > made a change that can visibly impact a single person, at least, not
13 > under "typical" usecases.
16 Sure, but the whole point of using logical commits is that somebody
17 might need to revert or check out one commit in a series. If you need to
18 undo an r5 -> r6 bump that modified RDEPEND, then you want the revision
19 to go back to r5, too, so that users rebuild it.
23 >> What magic is this? And how do I make it my default in gentoo.git?
24 >
25 > There's a lot of different parameters that take effect here:
26 >
27 > --find-copies-harder
28 > -M
29 > -C
30 > -B
31 >
32 > All have different effects on the verbosity and/or performance in
33 > different situations.
34
35 Niceeeeee. Thanks to you and Peter, I figured out that I can get away
36 with this in my .gitconfig:
37
38 [diff]
39 renames = true
40
41 If that ever doesn't work, --find-copies(-harder) should help.