From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: Derek Dolney <dolney@×××××××××××××××××××.edu>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] proposing new virtuals: blas and lapac + new use flag: ifc
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:18:29
1 Hi gang.
2
3 Courtezy of Derek Dolney (not a dev) we have an improvement proposed towards
4 some of the sci libs. But first a bit of explanation.
5 (#30453 has all the details)
6
7 BLAS is a Basic Linear Algebra System - is a famous and really basic library.
8 Not surprisingly, there are a couple of implementations - first a reference
9 one, completely in fortran and called just that - blas. Another often used
10 one is atlas (and there are more, for example gsl comes with cblas library as
11 part of it).
12
13 These libraries can be substituted for one another in majority of cases. As
14 such it would be nice to have a virtual/blas and correspondingly blas-config
15 utility.
16
17 Lacpack is another library (Linear Algebra PACKage) that provides more usefull
18 features, It depends on blas (either blas or atlas will do), so is one of the
19 would be users of virtual/blas and also has a reference and optimized (atlas
20 based) implementation. It is also usefull to be able to have both installed
21 together (to do chacks of validity of optimized runs for example). As such
22 this would require another virtual: virtual/lapack.
23
24 After discussing this with Derek we converged on the following naming scheme
25 (does not require approval really, but may be interesting for blas/lapack
26 users):
27 blas-reference and blas-atlas, plus lapack-reference and lapack-atlas
28 which should make sense for all blas/lapack users (now is your time to object
29 if it doesn't ;)).
30
31 Now on to the last part: ifc use flag:
32 So, to complicate things a bit more ;), these libraries (their fortran parts)
33 can be compiled with either g77 of ifc (Intel fortran compiler - unrestricted
34 download btw, as opposed to icc). However, as these are quite different apps
35 name and ionvocation wise, yet another virtual is inappropriate here (and
36 wouldn't belong to sci herd legacy anyway), but a use flag is just right.
37
38 So, hereby I am proposing above described extensions to blas-related lisb that
39 require two new virtuals: blas and lapack and new use flag ifc.
40
41 George
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list