From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SIGTERM vs SIGINT
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:15:47
1 On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 22:35 +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > As more and more init scripts "stopping" can trigger other services to
3 > restart, it becomes very desirable for this not to happen. So I propose for
4 > the next baselayout release (1.12.0_pre17) to default start-stop-daemon calls
5 > to SIGINT for stop commands instead of the current SIGTERM. My testing on my
6 > boxes has no adverse effects so far.
7 >
8 > So ...... thoughts? Good or bad idea? Reasons and explanations welcome :)
9
10 From a standards point of view, SIGINT is strictly meant to be an
11 interupt from the keyboard, and SIGTERM is there to notify the process
12 that it should stop.
13
14 I'm uneasy about going against accepted, standardised, and decades-old
15 UNIX behaviour at this level.
16
17 Why are bind et al getting into the state that they do? If you attach a
18 debugger to the running processes, what state are they in? Why does
19 stopping dhcpd using SIGINT et al prevent that? What is dhcpd doing in
20 its signal handler?
21
22 That seems to be the real issue that needs investigating and fixing. I
23 feel that changing the behaviour of start-stop-daemon is masking the
24 symptom, rather than fixing the bug.
25
26 Best regards,
27 Stu
28 --
29 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
30 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
31 http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
32
33 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
34 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C