From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-embedded] Interactive command
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:47:03
1 On Thursday 14 July 2005 14:37, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Thursday 14 July 2005 20:58, Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > echo "being that no portage dev in his/her right mind would
4 > > ever" echo "allow interactive code in an ebuild we use bashrc tricks"
5 >
6 > Actually, I promote interactive code in pkg_config(). There's no
7 > standard as to what it will do, so there's no real solution other than
8 > telling the user and then waiting for confirmation.
9 >
10 > As for the other phases, they should of course be 100% non-interactive.
11 > However, a pkg_presetup() or some such couldn't go astray - as long as
12 > it was purely optional. It would be much better to wait until portage
13 > supports arbitrary per-package env for it to be of any real use though.
14
15 Wouldn't it better suit our needs to write a configuration program that
16 packages can feed some custom configuration questions, and that then
17 spits out something that can be used by the ebuilds. This would allow
18 offline configuration of ebuilds etc. And something that was saved.
19
20 Paul
23 Paul de Vrieze
24 Gentoo Developer