From: Sherman Boyd <shermanb@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] NAT iptables info
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:14:11
1 What about a configuration packages? I think that the default settings of an ebuild should be conservative and secure, but when you start talking about ebuilds with lots of configuration options you see a need for a what Chad is talking about. How about:
2
3 emerge rusty_impervious_firewall.x.y.z.econf
4
5 or maybe it should be a separate tool:
6
7 econfig tonys_sweet_gnome_setup.x.y.z.econf
8
9 That way we can keep configuration and installation in separation.
10
11 -sherman
14 -----Original Message-----
15 From: Chad Huneycutt <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
16 Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 7:30 PM
17 To: <gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org>
18 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NAT iptables info
22 Donny Davies wrote:
23
24 >To provide some kind of gentoo firewall is, hmm, well silly. Its %100
25 >configuration. This is not the domain of a 'package', 'rpm' or ebuild.
26 >
27 I don't completely agree with this. While questions like "How do I set
28 up a firewall?" are not completely germaine to this mailing list, the
29 above statement is your opinion and open for discussion here. I think
30 that it is a very good idea to provide several basic scripts for common
31 configurations. If they are already out there, then great!, we should
32 include them in an ebuild. It is a much better policy to have the
33 network default to a secure state (such as the Rusty's script that
34 allows no incoming connections) than to leave it wide open, and let the
35 potentially newbie sysadmin get hacked.
36
37 It would be nice to bring up a semi secure, masquerading (or whatever
38 they are calling it these days) firewall box with little effort. From
39 there, one can learn about iptables and such things to customize it further.
40
41 Just some thoughts from someone who hasn't delved into iptables yet,
42
43 Chad
47 gentoo dev mailing list
48 gentoo dev@××××××××××.org