From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Messing with other people's packages
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:48:07
1 On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:39:07 -0500 Lina Pezzella <j4rg0n@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Feb 26, 2005, at 3:27 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:17:29 -0500 Lina Pezzella <j4rg0n@g.o>
5 | > wrote:
6 | > | On Feb 26, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 | > | > Didn't we decide that arch specific patches were a bad idea?
8 | > |
9 | > | I hope not; there are plenty of archs that need arch-specific
10 | > patches.
11 | >
12 | > Isn't this why we have #ifdef and autotools?
13 |
14 | Okay. So next time I have to patch 10 files for ppc-macos only, I
15 | should make #ifdefs, patch those 10 files in global scope and force
16 | everyone else to patch unnecessarily. I think not.
17
18 Well, you're sending all your patches upstream, right? There's no way
19 upstream can conditionally apply patches to their source, so they'll
20 *have* to use autotools (or the equivalent for whatever language that
21 is, but I'd imagine most of these are C things...). Sending them
22 complete patches, rather than ones that will break non-macos, is just a
23 matter of politeness.
26 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
27 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
28 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm