From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Keep out of /usr/X11R6
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 06:59:48
1 This is to anyone with packages that install stuff to /usr/X11R6:
2
3 Get out of there! Put your stuff in /usr/{bin,lib,etc.}. The only
4 exceptions at this time are the X implementation itself and very closely
5 tied things such as openmotif/lesstif.
6
7 If you earnestly believe your pet app has a valid reason to be in
8 /usr/X11R6, please justify your reasoning to me.
9
10 Quick list of possible suspects, based on what I have installed:
11 (Packages with a * are excepted from this, at least for now)
12
13 groff and baselayout install weird symlinks. I'd prefer to see X doing
14 these, if they're actually necessary. People without X have no reason
15 for those symlinks to exist.
16
17 quasar fonts # qpkg -fp /usr/X11R6 -nc
18 media-libs/nas
19 net-irc/bitchx
20 sys-apps/baselayout
21 sys-apps/groff