From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new categories: (was: Last Rites: games-puzzle/ksudoku)
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 18:20:46
1 Norberto Bensa wrote:
2 > Excuse me for thread hijack.
3 >
4 > Would it make sense to add (for example):
5 >
6 > kde-games
7 > gnome-games
8 >
9 > ?
10 >
11 > Or the other way around. Move kde-base/kmail to mail-client/kmail ?
12 >
13 > What about both ways using symlinks: kde-games/ksudoku -> games-puzzle/ksudoku ?
16 > Thanks,
17 > Norberto
18 >
19 Personally I prefer all the "official" kde package in kde-base - it
20 allows me to quickly know that this given package is part of the
21 official KDE package set.
22
23 I don't see a need for kde-games - it's pretty clear from the
24 descriptions which of the kde-base packages are games, and for the
25 reason stated above I don't like the idea of mixing "official" and
26 "unofficial" packages.
27
28 I suspect symlinks are likely to cause issues (what happens if you try
29 to install both kde-games/ksudoku and games-puzzle/ksudoku?) and as far
30 as I know are never used in the package tree.
31
32 Package moves like this are occasionally going to happen, no matter how
33 you structure the repository. The only real question here is whether
34 this is a package move (in which case, I believe, portage goes through
35 and updates /etc/portage/package.*, world and possibly custom sets
36 contents automatically) or just a package mask (in which case it's up to
37 the user to do all those updates)
38
39 AllenJB