From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 04:05:22
1 On 11/17/2012 10:29 PM, Greg KH wrote:
2 > I see an "entertaining" fork of udev on github at the moment (-ng,
3 > really? What happens when someone wants to fork that, -ng-ng? Be a bit
4 > more original in your naming please, good thing I never trademarked
5 > "udev" all those years ago, maybe I still should...)
6
7 That was a placeholder name. If you checked before you sent your email,
8 you would see that we had settled on eudev.
9
10 > But, along those lines, what is the goal of the fork? What are you
11 > trying to attempt to do with a fork of udev that could not be
12 > accomplished by:
13 > - getting patches approved upstream
14 > or:
15 > - keeping a simple set of patches outside of the upstream tree and
16 > applying them to each release
17
18 The goal is to replace systemd as upstream for Gentoo Linux, its
19 derivatives and any distribution not related to RedHat.
20
21 > I understand the bizarre need of some people to want to build the udev
22 > binary without the build-time dependencies that systemd requires, but
23 > surely that is a set of simple Makefile patches, right? And is
24 > something that small really worth ripping tons of code out of a working
25 > udev, causing major regressions on people's boxes (and yes, it is a
26 > regression to slow my boot time down and cause hundreds of more
27 > processes to be spawned before booting is finished.)
28
29 See the following:
30
31 https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/issues/3