From: JR Boyens <jboyens@××××××××.org>
To: "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge optional
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 10:06:24
1 IIRC FreeBSD uses environment variables. So say you want XMMS compiled
2 with GNOME support you set the environ USE_GNOME to 1 and it will. It
3 lets you know at the beginning of the build.
4
5 Personally I think that the USE variables are a little too generalized,
6 I'd like to see optional finer grained control. Another example, just
7 because a console MP3 player has LDAP support, doesn't mean I want it,
8 but I do for mail programs.
9
10 I envision some sort of ncurses/X based config where you smack a few
11 checkboxes and "BAM!" your packages are configured to your specs. To
12 shield the unwilling, maybe a command-line option to enable the extra
13 config options?
14
15 I don't know, but I'd really like to see something like Debconf with
16 Gentoo. I'd be willing to help someone out, but I don't have the gusto
17 to do it myself. :)
18
19 </rant>
20 --