From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: converting /etc/mtab to a symlink
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 20:10:47
1 On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM, David Leverton
2 <levertond@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> However, FWIW, linux namespaces cannot be used to have only a single
6 >> file appear differently to different processes. Mount namespaces can
7 >> only operate at the directory level.
10 > So to work around that limitation we insist that everyone change how their
11 > systems are set up, and still have to reintroduce mtab under a different
12 > name ("utab", hidden away under /run) because /proc/self/mounts *doesn't*
13 > contain everything that's supposed to be in mtab after all?
14 >
15 > If someone decides they want to use, say, different DNS servers in different
16 > namespaces, should we make the kernel store the server IP addresses, add a
17 > /proc file that dumps them out in the expected format, and demand that
18 > everyone replace their /etc/resolv.conf with a symlink to
19 > /proc/self/resolv.conf? Or maybe, if people want namespaces, they can
20 > implement them properly, in which case it becomes literally a self-solving
21 > problem.
25 This is a horrible example. /etc/resolv.conf is a configuration file
26 for code that lives entirely in userspace. Of course it makes no sense
27 to shove that into the kernel.