From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE2.2 testing
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:55:25
1 Dan Armak wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > The kde2.2 packages are available on cvs/rsync and have been for some time.
6 > Recently I cleaned up and unified them, and added object prelinking support
7 > (via objprelink USE flag). AFAIK kde2.2 is now stable and gentoo-ready; now
8 > we need both developers and users to test it, to uncover any
9 > bugs/typos/whatever and be able to unmask it with a clear conscience. Please
10 > reply, not only with bugs, but with success stories as well. (BTW I now use
11 > it myself with no trouble.)
12 >
13 > Upgrade note: the gentoo /opt/kde${PV} system has one flaw, namely that it
14 > doesn't take the user-specific settings dir ~/.kde into account, and all kdes
15 > installed get to access the same dir. Therefore people upgrading from kde
16 > 2.1.x or 2.0.x shuold make a backup of their ~/.lde, and restore it before
17 > using their old version of kde again.
18
19 Hi Dan,
20
21 There is an easier way to use both versions parallel. take a look at
22 /opt/kde2/bin/startkde
23 there are a few lines about KDEHOME. This sounds like it is possible to
24 set the kde homedir via this
25 variable.
26
27 If we patch this script to use .kde22 for example we are out of trouble.
28
29 Additionaly we can explicitly set KDEDIR in /usr/X11R6/bin/wm/kde22 to
30 /opt/kde2.2
31 then both versions should coexist friendly, because KDE always adds
32 itself to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
33 before starting.
34
35 bye achim~