From: Michiel de Bruijne <M.deBruijne@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enterprise Installer [was "LWE Aftermath" on -core]
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 14:21:31
2 > Wouldn't it be easier to do with a frozen -release tree? (In case you're
3 > not getting it, I want a frozen tree... *grin*)
4
5 -----
6
7 I totally agree with Chris. It's difficult for software providers to support
8 Gentoo because it's a moving target.
9
10 I have seen two statements about a frozen tree;
11 1 - administrators can use there own QA approved internal tree;
12 this is true, however this takes a lot of effort to maintain those trees. They
13 need to keep up with GLSA's and backport necessary ebuilds, digest, patches,
14 etc. to their tree. But most importantly software providers don't know about
15 these trees and are not able to QA their software on that tree.
16
17 2 - it takes a lot of resources to maintain those trees; this is true if your
18 goal is to provide ultimate stable and secure trees. Then it takes indeed a
19 lot of effort because you need to test changes against every tree. There are
20 other less ambitious scenarios possible;
21 - just branch in cvs (2004.x) and do nothing with this branch. You have at
22 least accomplished one big thing and that's predictability. It takes no extra
23 resources at all to maintain these branches. Software providers can test
24 their products against a tree and say their products works fine on Gentoo
25 <release>.
26 - create a branch in cvs and develop a tool that automatically backport GLSA's
27 in the trees. This may not give us ultimate stable trees but at least we have
28 secure and predictable trees.
29
30 I agree that Gentoo Enterprise needs to form in small steps. I believe
31 creating frozen trees takes very small amount of effort but gives us huge
32 gains we can build on in the future.
35 I suggest to take the following steps;
36 - create frozen trees (gain predictability)
37 - make Gentoo (portage) tree aware
38 - extend GLSA tool to automatically backport GLSA's and their fixes to the
39 trees
40 - if financial and/or developer resources become available in the future
41 backport stability fixes in the trees.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list