From: "Róbert Čerňanský" <openhs@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 19:37:31
1 On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 07:55:52 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 11:57 PM, Kent Fredric
5 > <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > On 11 February 2016 at 15:51, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
7 > >> In this case you just wouldn't enable python 2.7 support, but you
8 > >> wouldn't disable it either. Portage would just pull it in where
9 > >> it is needed.
10 [...]
11 > Perhaps it might make sense to introduce a new ~foo setting which
12 > undoes a +/-foo in make.conf but doesn't set it either + or - in
13 > package.use, allowing the setting to revert to the default behavior.
14 > That would actually be useful independent of lazy use flags, but would
15 > be more useful with lazy use flags.
16
17 Having also ~foo syntax (together with omiting use flags) seems to me
18 as best option now actually. It would support also Kent's use case I
19 think.
20
21 Taking that use case as an example - if I would want to get rid of
22 python-2.7 as soon as possible I'd set -python_targets_python2_7 in
23 make.conf. For those packages which portage screams that needs
24 python_targets_python2_7 I'd set ~python_targets_python2_7 in
25 package.use.
26
27 In time when last of those packages stops hard-requiring
28 python_targets_python2_7 the python-2.7 package itself would be
29 depcleaned and I could remove '~' entries from package.use.
30
31 Nice and clean :-) .
35 Róbert Èeròanský
36 E-mail: openhs@×××××××××.com