From: gentoo-user@××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: Todd Punderson <todd@××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bind-9.1.3-r7
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 04:33:34
1 On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Todd Punderson wrote:
2
3 > I did a update --world tonight and I also ran into this. It's probably
4 > destined for bugzilla, but I wanted to ask first.
5 >
6 > After updating to bind-9.1.3-r7 I had a problem getting it to run. I
7 > determined the problem to be the following. The named startup script
8 > executes this: start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/named -- -u named -n 1
9 >
10 > Since named switches to uid 'named' it doesn't have access to write to
11 > /var/run/named.pid However, I noticed that there is now a
12 > /var/run/named dir that is owned by named.named...This is all well and
13 > good but the named binary doesn't try to write it's pidfile to that
14 > directory and bombs. I looked in the ebuild and the bind documentation
15 > and there is a way to configure it to point to another directory: on the
16 > configure script it needs --localstatedir=/var/run/named instead of
17 > --localstatedir=/var but this also means that the /etc/init.d/named
18 > script needs to be edited to point to /var/run/named/run/named.pid for
19 > the stop portion of it. Maybe the extra 'run' in there could be edited
20 > out with by modifing the bind source, I didn't dig that far, I just need
21 > it running. :)
22 > Also /var/bind needs to be owned by named.named in order for the zone
23 > files to be read (since I did an upgrade, this bit me, it may not on a
24 > new install)
27 The reason for the change was that bind used to run as root
28 (inadvertently). It is not safe (or necessary to do so) to run named as
29 root. For named to run as a different user (that's what the -u option
30 does) it needs to be able to write it's pid file. This location can be
31 specified in the config file. This option was included there too. It is
32 not necessary / not safe for the /var/bind dir to be owned by named. Named
33 does need to be able to read it though. Only if you want to use dynamic
34 updates, the files to which you want bind to have access to must be owned
35 by named. Be very careful with dynamic update though, as it might
36 compromise your server (and with it possibly your network)
37
38 Paul
41 ___
42 /~~~\ | Paul de Vrieze
43 | O-O | | Student of information management and technology
44 | _ | | Mail: Paul@××××××××.net
45 \___/ | Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net