From: solar <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pending dooooooom of use.defaults
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:17:38
1 On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 06:57 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > as one of the new sane features of the next portage-2.1_pre release, we're
3 > looking to cut out use.defaults support
4
5 I see this as a good and bad thing. Good in one hand that less autojunk
6 would be enabled like python/perl bindings not being added to every
7 program on your system that supports it. Bad in the other hand I see
8 the state of profiles getting worse=more bloated. The autouse itself is
9 not a bad feature or idea if it were used properly. Problem is that
10 it's not been used properly. If it were limited to simple things like
11 just X and the things that actually make sense then it would even be
12 fine to keep and would allow some of the more bloated (default-linux)
13 profiles to be cleaned up. Shrug. I like the existing behavior and the
14 power of deciding for myself when and where I want to take advantage of
15 USE_ORDER=
19 > existing stable users wont be affected as the 2.0.x versions will continue to
20 > carry support for this, but some of you stable users may notice some USE
21 > flags suddenly "disappearing"
22 >
23 > to recap, use.defaults inserts USE flags for you based upon what packages you
24 > have installed when you havent declared a preference. for example, if you
25 > have neither '-cups' or 'cups' in your USE (either in your make.conf,
26 > profile, env, whatever), but you do have the net-print/cups package
27 > installed, portage will add 'cups' to your USE
28 > -mike
29 --
30 solar <solar@g.o>
31 Gentoo Linux