From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] who renamed adsl-start to pppoe-start and why
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:20:04
1 On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 13:26 +0200, Jürgen Schinker wrote:
2 > how ca i make sure that i am informed earlier about such changes?
3
4 Hi Juergen,
5
6 I haven't seen this myself yet, searching on bugs.gentoo.org hasn't
7 shown me any known bugs.
8 I assume you are talking about the net-dialup/rp-pppoe package - since
9 you don't mention that in your email it's not easy to know what exactly
10 happened there. In fact, your email is one of the less helpful ways of
11 communicating a problem. Next time when you have a problem please try to
12 describe it in detail, then we don't have to guess and can help you much
13 better.
14
15 The gentoo-dev mailinglist is not used for "small" bug discussion, the
16 mail volume would be prohibitive. bugs.gentoo.org and IRC (#gentoo,
17 #gentoo-bugs on irc.freenode.net) are usually much better for finding
18 help.
19
20 The best way to find out about changes would be reading the Changelogs
21 provided by all Gentoo ebuilds. Usually disruptive changes are described
22 there, so if you read the Changelog before updating you should be safe.
23 Often changes are announced in the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, the forums
24 may also be useful.
25
26 Some time ago we had a discussion about the problem of getting updates
27 to users - you should be able to find it in the archives (dir.gmane.org
28 and marc.theaimsgroup.com (?) have a web-interface for just that).
31 Hope that helps,
32
33 Patrick
34 --
35 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move