From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Deprecating and killing herds in metadata.xml
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 02:20:52
1 On Tue, Sep 30, 2014, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > If people are that attached to <herd> then we should apparently fix it
3 > instead of removing it, possibly by making it closely resemble
4 > <maintainer>.
5
6 Well to do that you need to clear up that "ontological discussion"
7 which is nothing more than defining what it is you're tracking.
8 Your first mail effectively dealt with every listing of herd as a tag
9 for people (ie maintainer tag), and concluded with "we just want a way
10 to lookup packages."
11
12 I don't want a long debate about it either: it'd just be nice to know
13 what you're trying to do upfront. It seems like a herd is a group of
14 both packages (eg webapps) and the people who care about them, via the
15 mail alias, which could be users as well as developers.(?)
16
17 The latter is slightly different to a project, which is a group of
18 developers, afaict. Is that difference what was meant by "team" which
19 I read somewhere in this thread, or is that the project, or something
20 else altogether?
21
22 Anyhow, I'd just deal with the fact that herd means what it means, a
23 grouping of packages formally, *and* an associated mail alias, which
24 (i assume) is what people look up with willikins' !herd. (Conceptually
25 the latter would be cleaner as !team, and !herd would tell you the
26 packages or direct to a url if many, but it's a bit late for that;
27 usage habits are too ingrained.)
28
29 And ofc document that, as well as what a project etc mean in one
30 place; I'm sure I got much of the above wrong in factual terms, but
31 those are the definitions missing from the proposal, that make it
32 hard to follow. It's not clear what problem you're trying to solve,
33 apart from removing all herd tags from every ebuild's metadata.xml.
34
35 Regards
36 steveL
37 --
38 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)