From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:50:23
1 On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 05:00, Duncan wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni posted <1090441261.19552.124.camel@localhost>, excerpted
3 > below, on Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:21:01 -0400:
4 >
5 > > I think 2 a year with a 2 year retention (4 releases) would be the sweet
6 > > spot. Nothing keeps users from running older releases, just we don't
7 > > support them officially any more.
8 >
9 > First, I'm a personal desktop user who migrated to Gentoo in large part
10 > for its "freshness". Thus, the very idea of slowing things down seems
11 > counter to the entire Gentoo thing, here, tho I understand the enterprise
12 > need, and the appeal of a Gentoo Linux Enterprise. If it's going to be
13 > done, in some ways, I think some other name might be more appropriate, tho
14 > if it's based on Gentoo, the other side says it's entirely appropriate.
15
16 Who cares what the name would be right now, since nobody's even agreed
17 on whether to do it or not... ;]
18
19 Personally, I don't like the idea of calling it "Enterprise" at all,
20 simply because it implies a certain amount of support that I don't
21 believe that we can provide. I would think our best naming would simply
22 be to refer to it by the actual release. The 2005.0 release would be
23 "Gentoo Linux 2005.0". There's no need to add any additional moniker to
24 the name, especially one that would imply a level of enterprise-class
25 support, such as that provided by Red Hat, SuSE, or Mandrake to their
26 enterprise customers. We won't have somebody that can be called up on
27 the phone. We won't have that level of support, so we shouldn't give
28 anyone the impression that we do.
29
30 > Anyway.. I replied here in particular, because I wanted to comment on the
31 > point quoted. From my observation of the commercial distribs and their
32 > reaction to Enterprise, as well as business reaction to their enterprise
33 > products, both the six month window and the two year window are to short.
34
35 We aren't a commercial distribution. We can't pretend to be one, nor at
36 like one. Instead, we should act as we are, a community-based
37 distribution of volunteers who strive to release the best product that
38 we can with the resources we're given.
39
40 I'm not sure if I agree with the windows being too short, but I'm not
41 going to discount it, either. After all, we're simply discussing here.
42
43 > If it's to be based on Gentoo Linux with its current quarterly releases*,
44 > it /would/ seem a multiple of that would be a good idea, and an annual one
45 > sounds like just to big a deal, to much invested. Thus, I'd propose
46 > a tri-release multiple rather than every other release, for a nine-month
47 > Enterprise release cycle rather than six. The first three months of the
48 > cycle could then be devoted to mostly supporting upgrades. The second
49 > three months would be focused on choosing and stabilizing a snapshot.
50 > This would offer a choice of two normal snapshot versions in case one had
51 > been found to be less than optimal, plus the possibility of an intervening
52 > version of individual packages if necessary. At the six-month point, a
53 > pre-release (aka Gentoo Enterprise Community) would be produced, which
54 > enterprise users could then start validating, with the full release
55 > (Gentoo Enterprise Official) three months later, incorporating any fixes
56 > necessary during the three month early validation period. This would also
57 > allow a bit more room for vacations and various other short term breaks of
58 > a month or so, where such might crimp a six-month release cycle (and
59 > certainly /does/ crimp the Gentoo three-month cycle =:^( ).
60
61 I could see a 9-month cycle working. The *only* problem that I see with
62 this is that we've now extended the life of software well beyond our
63 current means, and also well beyond what the original authors intended.
64
65 > If this sounds a bit like Mandrake's community/official release policy,
66 > that's no accident. They found there simply wasn't enough testing of the
67 > beta and rc releases, and after a couple "dud" releases, came up with the
68 > community/official release policy. Enterprises don't like "dud" releases,
69 > and if we start out with something like this, I think it'll improve the
70 > likelihood of Gentoo getting the reputation for solid releases.
71
72 We would be less likely to have a "dud" release simply because all of
73 our release material would come from our -current tree, which is pretty
74 well tested, and where I believe the bulk of Gentoo's users would
75 remain.
76
77 > With a nine-month release cycle, that would be four releases every three
78 > years. If Gentoo Enterprise supported four releases back (five releases
79 > total), that would be four years of actual support, including the three
80 > months of "Community" support for verification. That should be
81 > comfortably enough beyond the three year general upgrade cycle that even
82 > the conservative corporations should be comfortable with it, as it would
83 > allow for three years of actual use, PLUS a comfortable verification and
84 > conversion time at each end.
85
86 Companies will tend to run software whether it is supported or not.
87 Since we would not be providing a true commercial support anyway, I'm
88 not sure that our support cycle would really be that important to a
89 company. I think the single biggest factor *currently* with Gentoo
90 being adopted in the Enterprise (or even much, much smaller shops) is
91 the lack of stability in our releases, with stability meaning a static
92 tree.
93
94 If we provide a static tree that comes from our already tested and
95 "stable" branch of our -current tree, we should have fewer bugs in it.
96 If in the future, we can grow into providing back-ports and even
97 commercial-grade support, then great, but we're not there now, and I
98 honestly don't think we will *ever* get there if we don't take some
99 action to honestly move in that direction. It's the whole concept of
100 taking baby steps... learning to crawl before we can walk.
101
102 > That would be comfortably more than the competition (save for Debian)
103 > supports, as well. OTOH, cutting that to four releases total (three back)
104 > would remain an option, and still be reasonable.
105
106 I think it has always been the idea to go with 4 total (3 back) simply
107 due to resources. I guess I wasn't clear on that before.
108
109 > * RE: the current quarterly releases:
110 >
111 > IMO, these might better be three a year since all they are is snapshots
112 > tested and fit for installation anyway, and don't really affect current
113 > users with Gentoo already installed. This would give the arch teams and
114 > releng a bit more QC time on the snapshots, and allow more ebuild
115 > maintenance and development time in between releases, instead of the
116 > constant focus on snapshot release stability, getting one out and having
117 > to immediately start focusing on the next, with little time to focus on
118 > just ebuilds/package quality itself, instead of the larger snapshot
119 > quality, between release snapshots.
120
121 We have a team specifically for the releases. This team does not focus
122 on ebuilds at all, but the releases themselves. It is up to the ebuild
123 maintainers to work on their ebuilds, as Release Engineering does not
124 dictate to the maintainers what will be included. We simply do "what is
125 ready". This keeps anyone from rushing something out that just isn't
126 ready for the users, and also keeps pressure on the maintainers low. We
127 are all volunteers, after all, and working with Gentoo can be stressful
128 enough for some of us.
129
130 > Or, to put it another way, it'd allow for a problem AND a vacation, in the
131 > same release window, without crowding out individual package attention
132 > entirely. <g>
133
134 With our current system, if there's a big "problem", then we simply
135 don't upgrade to the problem package(s) and stick with what worked. If
136 the xfree/xorg guys decided to take a vacation for a release, it
137 wouldn't kill us, as we have a perfectly working set from the last
138 release.
139
140 > For Enterprise, this would change the every third release, nine month
141 > spacing, to every other release, eight month spacing, above, three in two
142 > years, six in a four year life cycle (or five, and remain reasonably over
143 > three years).
144 >
145 > Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm not trying to tilt at windmills,
146 > wasn't yet around for the debate behind the quarterly release decision,
147 > and if the current Gentoo Linux quarterly releases work..
148
149 The current release cycle seems to work. My original proposal was to
150 start by keeping our current cycle, simply because it has seemed to work
151 for our normal releases. Now we're talking about the introduction of a
152 major change to Gentoo that affects our releases. I'm a big fan of only
153 making one big change at a time. If we find it too hard to work within
154 the constraints of our quarterly release cycle, then we get together and
155 discuss a way to make it better. Right now, "it ain't broke", so we
156 don't want to fix it... *grin*
159 Chris Gianelloni
160 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
161 Gentoo Linux
162
163 Is your power animal a penguin?