From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How help in arch testing work
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:46:28
1 On Wednesday 18 January 2012 10:44:44 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:23 +0100 Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
4 > >> 3) Check your rdepend, where is possible with scanelf[3] and if you
5 > >> declare it, please, as you said, exclude gcc/glibc and all package
6 > >> from @system
7 > >
8 > > imho this has nothing to do with stabilization, every single package
9 > > should have these 2 points addressed.
10 >
11 > True, although unless I'm missing something I don't see the harm in
12 > listing packages as (R)DEPENDS that are in @system. If anything this
13 > would help to reduce churn down the road as we try to minimize the
14 > system set. If including packages from @system does break things like
15 > stage3s I'll rescind my remarks, but my impression is that all the
16 > circular deps necessitated some level of hard-coding in the scripts
17 > already...
18
19 it isn't just circular deps. it's also about breaking alternatives and
20 useless bloat. adding "coreutils" to their depend because they execute `mv`,
21 or "sed" because they execute `sed`, etc... is absolutely pointless. same
22 goes for virtual/libc or virtual/os-headers.
23 -mike