From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 2004.0 - New test stages
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:30:38
1 On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:28:51AM -0400, Adrian Almenar wrote:
2 > 1.- I think the docs should have a section were the user can configure
3 > the CHOST variable, so he can change it for optimal performance of his
4 > hardware.
5 The value of CHOST has in general absolutely no effect on the
6 performance of the machine. (There are a few misguided packages I've
7 seen upstream that try to use it to set up some basic CFLAGS, but those
8 packages aren't in Gentoo).
9
10 Changing the CHOST value has a large potential to break your machine if
11 you aren't careful, as GCC uses it as part of it's location to install
12 in, and sometimes stuff is linked against libraries in that location.
13
14 > 2.- It should have at least a
15 > #SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage", so the user can
16 > change it to the closest rsync mirror.
17 > 3.- This exactly the same as point three but with GENTOO_MIRRORS.
18 Mirrorselect was created for this express purpose.
21 Robin Hugh Johnson
22 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
23 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
24 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
25 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85