From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] do we need special elog messages for bindist?
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 08:15:34
1 On 2/25/15 8:38 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > I would like to remove the elog for a couple of reasons:
3 >
4 > 1. The use flag description is there for whoever cares to read it.
5 > There is no need to alert the user every time.
6 > 2. We are not lawyers, and I have no business giving legal advice
7 > about patent law which varies from country to country.
8 >
9 > To take it one step further: I think it would make more sense to call
10 > the flag "h264" or something similar. We could then set
11 > RESTRICT="h264? ( bindist )" if we want to give some indication that
12 > it is not appropriate for binary redistribution.
13
14 Makes sense.
15
16 My suggestion for the flag name would actually be proprietary-codecs.
17 This matches config option name in Chromium sources, and it's not just
18 h264 but also e.g. MPEG-4 and MP3.
19
20 The flag would be disabled by default.
21
22 I'd then add RESTRICT="proprietary-codecs? ( bindist )" to the ebuild
23 and remove both elog messages.
24
25 Paweł