From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: binhost@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New project: binhost
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 14:21:04
1 On 2/10/21 6:57 PM, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"
5 >
6 > "The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable, precompiled
7 > packages for a subset of configurations, via central binary package hosting.
8 > Currently we are still in the conceptual planning stage. "
9 >
10 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost
11 >
12 > If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the wiki
13 > page.
14 >
15 > Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central point of
16 > the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a tinderbox). I'm more
17 > concerned about
18 > * what configurations should we use
19 > * what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g. binpkg
20 > signing and verification)
21 > * how should hosting look like
22 > * and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into production"
23 > * ...
24 >
25 > Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D
26
27 To me, rather than build time, the time consuming challenge is to review the
28 content of make.conf to get the most out of my (usually quite powerful) hardware,
29 when there are updates to Gentoo or even the hardware.
30
31 For GSoC 2018 I have drawn the idea of some 'Social Linux Distribution Network',
32 as in sharing Gentoo config like in some social network, with backing by some
33 binhost infrastructure to be an optional second step:
34 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2018/Ideas#Social_Linux_Distribution_Network
35
36 While I unlikely will have enough time to really help out here, I'm a potential user
37 of binhost with a personal focus on most flexible connectivity while using Xfce.
38
39 My 2 ct,
40 /haubi/