From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 21:14:03
1 On Tue, 30 May 2017 09:56:07 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > First problem: encoding "don't change this from its current setting
5 > unless you have a reason to do so" is an utter pain in SAT.
6
7 I get the impression that this is harder to solve in Gentoo than it has
8 to be, because my impression of portage config is that all sources of
9 configuration are equal.
10
11 Configuration
12 in /etc/portage/* , /etc/portage/profile/*, /usr/portage/profile/* are
13 taken like equals, and as far as I can tell, portage has no way of
14 knowing if a use flag is disabled by user choice, or if the flag being
15 disabled is simply the default.
16
17 I think having a clear way to disambiguate between the two would give
18 the resolver more freedom to adjust the settings that the user didn't
19 specify as preferences, and try harder to conform to the users
20 preferences....
21
22 Instead of the current approach, where you can either "Change nothing"
23 or "change anything".
24
25 "Change nothing at first" -> "Change anything within this subset
26 second" -> "Recommend changes in config if you can't solve within that
27 constraint"