From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: Arthur Britto <ahbritto@×××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] submiting ebuilds
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 09:30:02
On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 07:20:19PM -0700, Arthur Britto wrote:
> That's nice, but I've been tracking an ebuild submission (bug #8997) > since October. > > How many months should someone expect to babysit an ebuild till it is > placed in portage as unstable? 6 months?
Suppose you are a Gentoo developer and that you are going to commit those ebuilds in Portage. You are, as a developer, aware that *any* difficulty with the ebuild is *your* responsability. *You* must have tested the ebuild thouroughly and made sure that all variables and USE-settings are in place. Now if this is an ebuild you don't even use, are you really motivated to take such a responsability? The Gentoo Linux Development is aware of this problem and is working on it. However, implementing a complete new scheme concerning responsability for ebuilds takes some time, not only to write out, but to test and make sure there aren't any fallbacks. So please bare with us and be patient. Read the GWN for the latest news on our Herd-implementation, but don't ask questions about it since the people in charge of that implementation would rather implement it than reply'ing to dozens of e-mails which will just slow down their development pace. And if you aren't satistied with that answer, just think that we are in an ebuild-freeze (we're not, but just suppose we are) to increase our QA :) Wkr, Sven Vermeulen Gentoo Documentation -- Thanks to DRM, you know that something has been built in environment of unspecified degree of security, from source you cannot check, written by programmers you don't know, released after passing QA of unknown quality and which is released under a license that disclaims any responsibility...