From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: Arthur Britto <ahbritto@×××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] submiting ebuilds
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 09:30:02
1 On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 07:20:19PM -0700, Arthur Britto wrote:
2 > That's nice, but I've been tracking an ebuild submission (bug #8997)
3 > since October.
4 >
5 > How many months should someone expect to babysit an ebuild till it is
6 > placed in portage as unstable? 6 months?
7
8 Suppose you are a Gentoo developer and that you are going to commit those
9 ebuilds in Portage. You are, as a developer, aware that *any* difficulty with
10 the ebuild is *your* responsability. *You* must have tested the ebuild
11 thouroughly and made sure that all variables and USE-settings are in place.
12 Now if this is an ebuild you don't even use, are you really motivated to take
13 such a responsability?
14
15 The Gentoo Linux Development is aware of this problem and is working on it.
16 However, implementing a complete new scheme concerning responsability for
17 ebuilds takes some time, not only to write out, but to test and make sure
18 there aren't any fallbacks. So please bare with us and be patient. Read the
19 GWN for the latest news on our Herd-implementation, but don't ask questions
20 about it since the people in charge of that implementation would rather
21 implement it than reply'ing to dozens of e-mails which will just slow down
22 their development pace.
23
24 And if you aren't satistied with that answer, just think that we are in an
25 ebuild-freeze (we're not, but just suppose we are) to increase our QA :)
26
27 Wkr,
28 Sven Vermeulen
29 Gentoo Documentation
32 Thanks to DRM, you know that something has been built in environment of
33 unspecified degree of security, from source you cannot check, written by
34 programmers you don't know, released after passing QA of unknown quality and
35 which is released under a license that disclaims any responsibility...