From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, ppc@g.o, ppc64@g.o, alpha@g.o, sparc@g.o, ia64 <ia64@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About reducing or even removing stable tree for some arches
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 04:49:49
1 Dnia 2015-02-16, o godz. 10:37:12
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 02:34:50PM +0100, Pacho Ramos wrote:
5 > > Hello
6 > >
7 > > Every day I am hitting tons of blockers stabilizations and keywording
8 > > requests for alpha, sparc, ia64, ppc and ppc64.
9 > >
10 > > Again, I would suggest to either decrease radically the amount of stable
11 > > packages of some of that arches or even make them testing only.
12 > >
13 > > For reducing their stable tree, my suggestion would be to either keep
14 > > their current stage3 packages stable or stage3+some concrete (and
15 > > public) list of packages.
16 > >
17 > > Currently situation is not good at all as we rely on mostly one member
18 > > needing to handle most stable work and, if any stablereq has any issue
19 > > leading to it not being able to be handled in an "automated" way, the
20 > > bug gets blocked for months. Also, keywording work is mostly stalled on
21 > > this arches as it's done by even less people.
22 > >
23 > > The current policy of maintainers dropping keywords after 90 days is
24 > > simply not applied because it leads up to that maintainer needing to
25 > > kill himself that keyword and ALL the reverse deps keywords and, then,
26 > > all that effort should probably be replaced by making the opposite, I
27 > > mean, reducing the stable tree of that arches to a minimum and moving
28 > > all the other packages to testing. The main advantage of this is that it
29 > > needs maybe more effort in one round but it solves the problem for the
30 > > future. On the other hand trying to kill keywords of a package *and all
31 > > its reverse deps* requires a lot of work every time the problem appears.
32 >
33 > I think the cleanest way forward would be to mark these arch's dev or
34 > exp in the profiles. That way, maintainers don't have to worry about
35 > them and the people maintaining the arch's can determine what needs to
36 > be stabilized at their own paces.
37
38 Sounds like a very bad idea. This will only cause developers to
39 frequently break the tree accidentally because of no repoman checks
40 by default.
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny