From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preserving mtimes
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 00:52:30
1 On Wed, 07 May 2008 00:44:28 +0200
2 "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
3 > and I think that would be the correct thing to do, but either way I'd
4 > like PMS to specify what should happen wrt to mtimes, so that I can
5 > rely on that.
6
7 PMS makes no guarantee as to what happens with mtimes, which means you
8 can't rely upon things happening one way or the other. This is
9 deliberate -- preserving mtimes leads to all kinds of weirdness on
10 packages that are generated from a raw tar file rather than from a
11 build system.
12
13 > Current work-around is tarring up and untarring to preserve mtimes.
14
15 That's not really any good either. The proper solution would be to fix
16 whatever it is that's mtime-sensitive.
19 Ciaran McCreesh