From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Network configuration and bash
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 07:53:00
1 Roy Marples napsal(a):
2 > This email is about network configuration. Before I joined Gentoo,
3 > network configuration was done in bash arrays like so (note, that the
4 > variable name was changed in baselayout-1.11)
5 >
6 > ifconfig_eth0=(
7 > "10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
8 > "10.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0"
9 > )
10 >
11 > This is all well and good, but only bash and zsh can use it. Infact I'm
12 > guilty as I embraced arrays and used them as the basis for our entire
13 > network scripts. They have also served us well, but as they are also
14 > array based they will have to be re-written too.
15
16 To be honest, I hate the idea of rewriting the network config; being
17 able to specify things like
18
19 config_eth0=( "10.1.1.{1..10}/24 brd +" )
20
21 (yes, it really expands correctly and works!) is extremely useful and
22 something you don't find in any other distro out there last time I've
23 checked. You can assign tons of IP address on a single line, or just
24 with a couple of lines if you need different subnets, instead of going
25 thru the boring and error-prone task of specifying every single address
26 separately.
27
28 Why kill such useful features just to get rid of arrays and bash?
29
30 Kevin F. Quinn napsal(a):
31 > Surely you would provide choice by providing different baselayout
32 > packages; one tailored for embedded systems that only have busybox,
33 > one for general purpose use, etc. That's what the virtual is for,
34 > isn't it?
35
36 +1
40 Best regards,
41
42 Jakub Moc
43 mailto:jakub@g.o
44 GPG signature:
45 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
46 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
47
48 ... still no signature ;)