From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild limits?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:19
1 On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 20:48:27 -0400 Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 | So yeah, things are pretty complicated due to the upstream build
4 | system expectations.
5
6 I suggest hitting upstream with a cluebat until they make a proper
7 build system.
8
9 | 1. Can I use /usr/local/portage/eclass for development/testing?
10
11 Portage is kinda broken with eclasses in overlay... It'll work, so long
12 as you remember to touch all affected ebuilds every time you change the
13 eclass.
14
15 | 2. Do I create a single eclass, i.e. zimbra.eclass, to represent an
16 | eclass for a specific package or do I generate multiple eclasses
17 | based upon functionality?
18
19 Well... If it's really an eclass for a whole package, it may not be
20 worth packaging the thing at all.
21
22 | a /var/db/pkg query system,
23
24 Yick! Bad bad bad idea.
25
26 | 3. Do eclasses get submitted on the same bug report as the ebuild
27 | submission, or do they get a bug report of their own?
28
29 All in one bug's usually easier.
32 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
33 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
34 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm